Using node.io for screen scraping

I built a node.js prototype, which used node.io, for an idea we had to get some useful data.I knocked this out Sunday night and early Monday.
Besides learning node.io, a challenge was how to handle nested getHtml() calls in node.io since each is threaded. After 2 initial versions I found a useful post and the approach to use.

node.io is a powerful node.js package to support data manipulations (file io, db access, screen scraping etc.) in an async manner.
It has strong support for screen scraping which I used it for, I like the jquery like dom selector support, very cool. But I would definitely use it for file processing too.
In node.io you create jobs which are then run. You can define inputs and outputs. Lots of good material on the wiki.

The multi threading makes it a bit tricky especially for nested tasks.

Here's the git repo for the app I built.


A nod to my muse for this work, the "jean genie" maestro himself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

deep dive into Material UI TextField built by mui

angular js protractor e2e cheatsheet

react-router v6.4+ loaders, actions, forms and more