prettier rant (forewarned, er..not pretty)

I’m developing a strong dislike (I didn’t say hate) for changes that get made to codebases by someone else’s’ prettier rules. When code is already formatted then I don’t think it should be reformatted by my prettier.

If I open a PR and have a bunch of prettier changes to the code then something is probably wrong. If it’s my own codebase or new code fine, but if its someone else's’ then I don’t think I have the right to reformat it to my prettier rules.I also don’t want to review a PR where most of the code changes are prettier changes and I’m left scratching my head figuring out what really changed.I think we should turn off prettier if it results in significant changes to a code base and we should never be checking in prettier changes only.
Either that or we all agree to use same prettier and same rules
…and is this prettier change:
sinon.stub(RLCPermissionsHTTPService,'getHost').returns(localTestsUrl);
better than this?
sinon.stub(RLCPermissionsHTTPService, 'getHost')	      
.returns(localTestsUrl);
Personally, I don’t think it is. I think the latter is more readable.

eom rant 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

deep dive into Material UI TextField built by mui

angular js protractor e2e cheatsheet

react-router v6.4+ loaders, actions, forms and more