Elon, twitter and all that

I don't have a problem with making moves to make your business a success. Cutting failing products. Pivoting. Laying people off. Staying lean. Cutting perks. That's all part of business (especially tech). I and the whole SF office were laid off from a startup in Thanksgiving 2015. Sucked. It happens. We all accepted it and moved on. And I accept that in some cases employees have been overly lavished with perks (although I would like to see how free lunches, laundry etc. compares to executive compensation packages).

But how Elon Musk has done it, treating people as disposable and abusable. Forcing people to work round the clock. Ritualistic styled humiliations such as sign up to be "hardcore" or be fired, fired if disagree with Elon, print out your code, send screenshots of your code in an email and come to present. I don't get how that makes sense? I mean, all our code is online in github, why print it off and hand deliver? How is someone going to grok thousands of lines of printed code? Who pores over code on paper instead of using digital tools like studio code for code reviews? 

How do I parent my kid(s) if I have to sleep in the office? What choice do I have if I'm on a temporary visa? Have financial or other commitments? Many people just have to hang on and try take the crap doled out.

Watching this unfold has put in my mind for some time that Musks truly bad behavior is empowering others to do some bad behavior themselves.  The nytimes had an article about how Musks behavior is making him a hero to some in Silicon Valley. "Time to kick some a**". I really hope most people realize you can run a business and also be ethical and respect people.

I remember decades ago an exec at a company I worked at saying something like "I can't wait for all these programmers to be on the street with begging bowl in hand". Thankfully that person is long gone and the software industry has only grown stronger. It will get past this latest bs too. There's a lot more good actors out there who respect peoples dignity, know how to lead and also run a business. How about we put more of them in the news?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

deep dive into Material UI TextField built by mui

angular js protractor e2e cheatsheet

react-router v6.4+ loaders, actions, forms and more